From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Asian fonts in pdfs
Date Sun, 07 May 2006 10:02:37 GMT
If you look at [1] you'll see that Hangul syllables are not covered by
the DejaVu font. That's why they don't appear. You'll need to find
another font.

[1] http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/dejavu/trunk/dejavu-fonts/unicover.txt

Concerning the "noisy output" I'd recommend you take a closer look at
the warning messages. You'll find they are quite informative. There are
a lot of table-rows with height="14pt" in your FO file. 14pt is too
little for a 12pt font with line-height="1.2" (the default). Either
remove the height property or adjust it to at least 14.4pt (=12 * 1.2).

Note to FOP committers: Interestingly, the DejaVu font might actually
meet our needs license-wise if we want a set of fonts we can
redistribute. We'd only have to check with legal since the license is
not standard BSD. The drawback: The fonts are quite large (5 MB all
together).

On 07.05.2006 01:17:02 Matthew East wrote:
> Thomas Schraitle <tom_schr <at> web.de> writes:
> > On Saturday 06 May 2006 19:20, Matthew East wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't really understand much about fonts, but on my system, if I view
> > > the "fo" file in an editor and set my editor to display serif fonts,
> > > all the korean characters appear fine.
> >
> > I think that are two different things. As far as I know, FOP knows only
> > those fonts that are registered in its configuration file. Therefor you
> > have to configure the fonts first that you want to use in your FO file.
> > Otherwise it won't work. See [1] for more information about fonts in FOP.
>
> Right, I did some more playing around with this. This time, I used fop 0.92beta
> and got some font metrics files from the "dejavu-serif" truetype font which I
> embedded in the pdf. I'm reliably informed that this carries the relevant Asian
> fonts. However, although the font seems to have been successfully embedded, the
> correct characters are still not showing. I've uploaded the fo and resultant pdf
> here:
>
> http://mdke.org/ubuntu/fop/0.92beta/
>
> The output of building the pdf was extremely noisy, although I don't think the
> noise has anything to do with the problem which is the subject of this thread.
> In any case, I've posted them here: http://pastebin.com/702716
>
> Any more ideas? Lemme know if you need any more information!

Jeremias Maerki