From Charles Griswold <cgrisw...@logixpartners.com>
Subject Re: preliminary report on thesis and memory use
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 15:14:21 GMT
Paul Tremblay wrote:

>About a month ago I asked if FOP could handle a thesis about 100 pages
>long with a table of contents at the beginning. I was told the best
>way to answer the question was to write the stylesheets to convert the
>thesis to FO and use FOP to convert it. It obviously took me a little
>bit of time to do so.
>
>At this point the body of the thesis is around 60 pages long. There is
>then a 40 page table. The table of contents only has to reference to
>page 60; after that there are no more references.
>
>I ran FOP on my 400 MHZ machine loaded with linux. I am using FOP
>version 0.91beta and java version 1.4.1.
>
>It took me 47 seconds to process the document and I encountered no
>memory problems.
>
>This test is preliminary because there is one more appendix that will
>contain many, many graphics, and the table of contents will point to
>these graphics.
>
>Paul

We use FOP for generating reports based upon our health care benefit
plan representation with our product, PlanLogix.  These reports can be
between 2 and 500 pages.
They all have a TOC as well. We also use a large number of GIFs on each
report.  The larger reports are memory intensive. We've been able to
reduce the memory usage by reducing the amount of material rendered with
in any specific block.
The only issue we've encountered is a significant memory leak on
successive reports. Initial testing seems to indicate a loss of about
100m with each execution.
We have no solution to this issue other than to invoke the XSLT-FOP as a
separate task on each execution.  This approach insures a new JVM on
each execution.