From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Font Metrics for Adobe Acrobat Asian Font Pack
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:53:40 GMT

On 07.08.2006 21:46:48 David Nesbitt wrote:
> Jeremias
>
> > There are currently some talks about fonts. You may want to look into
> > the fop-dev mailing list. All the details can be found there. Whether
> > OpenType fonts with CFF glyphs (like the ones from the font pack) are
> > going to be implemented is not clear right now. Implementing CFF would
>
> > probably not be a large thing but the fact that we're planning on
> > adopting an external font library might complicate things a bit.
>
> Thanks.  I will check the fop-dev list.
>
> I think it would be really important to support the Adobe OpenType font
> pack for Asian languages, since it would allow for complete open source
> support of Asian languages without requiring any font embedding or
> proprietary font licensing.

Not so sure about that. Look at the licensing info:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpackthanks.html?hasjavascript=0&Version=Adobe+Reader+7.0x&Language=Japanese&Platform=Linux+x86

Quote:
"Note: The font software contained in this package is being licensed to
you solely for use with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® software ("Acrobat
Reader") and is subject to the terms and conditions of the electronic
End-User License Agreement accompanying Acrobat Reader."

> I don't have any working knowledge of OpenType fonts or CFF glyphs, but
> I am willing to help out with any implementation task if I can be of use
> to get this done.

Well, you can do it as we do: Read the specifications and try to
implement them. We learn about fonts as we go.

Jeremias Maerki