From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: User Types
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:50:25 GMT
We use XSL/XSLT for reports and for Docbook.

Docbook:  Tech Writer creates the XML documents that will be fed through
the Docbook stylesheets.  Uses Eclipse WTP for this.  The developer
creates an Ant script that automates all of the tech writer's doc
generation and publishing-to-web-server tasks so the writer only needs
to know how to call Ant tasks from the script for these chores.  (Over
time, our tech writer has also learned to modify and add new tasks in.)

Docbook Maintenance:  Tech Writer enters the documentation changes
(after getting information from developers) and republishes them via Ant
scripts.

XSL/XSLT Reports:  Very nice separation of data from presentation
chores.  Developer first defines the input format of the XML document
that will have the report's data.  The tech writer creates the
stylesheet that will layout the report, usually leveraging previously
created stylesheets, and also creates sample XML documents with dummy
data for testing the stylesheets.  Tech writer also maintains any header
stylesheets that will be imported by multiple document stylesheets.
Developer creates the SQL, SAX Event generation, etc. that generate the
XML document.

For a non-programming tech writer, XSLT coding presents a pleasantly
not-very-steep but continuous learning curve--simple stuff can be done
without any training at all (i.e., change the title in an already
existing document from FOO to BAR -- anyone with a text editor can S & R
on FOO to do this without needing to know a thing about XSLT) with more
complex tasks (XSLT templates and functions and the like) gradually
added in over time.

XSL/XSLT Reports Maintenance:  Tech Writer is responsible for making
stylesheet/reports look "nice" and presentation/layout change requests,
developer is responsible for bringing in new/different data elements
from the SQL, as well as overall maintenance of the web application.

The main thing when doing Docbook and XSL/XSLT in production, especially
with non-programming employees is:  Ant, Ant, Ant!  Keep everything
automated and defined (classpaths, working directories, web servers to
FTP to, etc.) within Ant and outside local IDEs/computer environment
variables.  (Among other benefits, if some developers prefer this IDE
and others another IDE, it won't matter, because everything is
configured within the Ant build file.)  The second most important thing
is CVS/SVN, CVS/SVN, CVS/SVN!  Eclipse makes it easy to immediately
commit new changes.

Glen

andyrob_24_7@yahoo.com wrote:

>I'd be interested to know what types of people are using the FOP engine to generate documents.
>
>Could you indicate whether your setup has a dedicated programmer, or team of programmers,
individual author, technical author etc.