From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: out of memory error
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:13:43 GMT
On Aug 9, 2006, at 19:27, Luis Ferro wrote:

Hi,

> It has LOADS of page sequences... it's a book with 2500 pages where
> from 3 or
> 4 pages, the "template" changes from one column page to 2 column
> page...
>
> Is there a better way of doing this "swap" of columns?

Not that I'm aware of... (you're using conditional-page-masters, right?)
Can you do us a favor and try if using just one simple-page-master
makes a difference? Does it also consume a large amount of memory?

Tinker a bit with the properties on each of the page-masters, see if
that changes anything... Never mind the output, it's simply to narrow
down the searching area. If the test succeeds with one simple-page-
master, or with different settings we'll get a better idea of where
to start looking.

Thanks in advance!

> Right now... with 477 pages, to render it ocupies 1.1Gb memory... (my
> machine has a top of 1.5Gb adressable to java...)...
>
> Will try now to simplefy everything as best as i can...

Jeremias recently added a MemoryEater to the trunk with which we can
test, using one of your FO fragments and copying it a given number of
times.
Choose one representative page-sequence, and the structure of your
conditional-page-master-alternatives, post them in a Bugzilla --so
only those people that are interested need to download it-- and we'll
have a look.

> How can i test if there is memory leaks somewhere (i'm a programmer
> but i'm
> very very green in java)?

There is no easy way, I'm afraid. You can use a profiling tool one
one of the sessions --the JDK comes with some profiling facilities,
if you're a console-geek ;)-- to have a look at what the reference
trees in the heap look like at a certain point in the process, but
you'd still need some basic understanding of the process to figure
out which active references are totally unnecessary.

If you're willing to invest time in this, of course you'd be welcome
to do so. If you have any questions or remarks, or need help
interpreting the results of a profiling session, just direct them to
fop-dev, or use Bugzilla to track the issue.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Andreas