From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: formatting tables
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:14:31 GMT
paul wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to format a table, and it would be useful to apply formats like
> padding, background-color to entire rows or columns (which, according to my
> book, should be possible). If I try to do so, nothing happens. I always have to
> set these attributes in the individual cells of the table, which I find a bit
> tedious and fumbly.

Speaking generally, if there are properties that are not working row- or
column-level in FOP, requiring tedious cell-level usage, sometimes a
solution is to rely on XSLT to simplify your work.  Two options are XSLT
attribute sets and calling templates.

Frank Neugebauer's article, "Modularize Formatting Objects", linked
here[1] (with other XSL links you may find useful), is probably one of
the best articles to read for this purpose.

Glen

[1] http://del.icio.us/gmazza/xsl