From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Copyfitting
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:01:42 GMT
On Dec 1, 2006, at 18:02, Peter wrote:

Hi Peter,

> I am wondering whether anyone has any experience in the area of
> copyfitting
> and xsl-fo.
> To clarify - assume that I want to format a piece of text in an
> area (page
> if you want) with given dimensions.
> Now, in stead of getting an overflow I would like xsl-fo (fop that
> is :-))
> to change a number of parameters (like font size etc) to try and
> make the
> text fit in the available region.

> Would this (or could this made to) match with xsl-fo/fop?

This type of question has been raised a number of times, and there
does not seem to be a straightforward solution in pure XSL-FO...
Depending on the complexity of layout, you may be able to achieve a
similar effect by mimicking it in SVG, then insert the graphic as an
fo:external-graphic or fo:instream-foreign-object with content-width
and -height set to scale-to-fit.

Only tough nut to crack would be that the image would, in this case,
also be stretched if it is too small. That's where XSL-FO 1.1 scale-
down-to-fit would be of great help.

It's not much to go on, just my 2 cents...

Cheers,

Andreas