From Manuel Mall <man...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fop and line-overruns using Japanese fonts
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 09:16:35 GMT
On Tuesday 01 May 2007 06:45, Brad Smith wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have some documents with Japanese text that have been presenting
> some very frustrating problems. When I render them using fop, in
> several places long lines with no spaces (as is often the case with
> such languages) spill over the edge of the page. Some searching
> online and on this list found that this is a known issue and I read a
> suggestion to insert a zero-width space (\u200B, I assume) between
> each character as a fix. However, when I do this there is too little
> space between characters when I render, such that the glyphs all
> overlap one another. In some cases, they are also offset far to the
> left so that they off the left edge of the page instead of the right.
> I tried using a hair-space (\u200A) instead and had similar results.
>
> Does anyone have an alternate workaround? I'm using fop 0.93.

Brad,

to start with I have to say I don't know anything about Japanese writing
systems apart from a cursory glance at something like wikipedia.

It appears you have two problems:

a) Linebreaking is not working correctly: I would say that is fixed in
the current trunk version as Unicode compliant linebreaking has been
implemented. And yes, linebreaking for non western scripts is hazardous
in all current released versions of fop.

b) Glyphs are overlapping. Can't say much here - could be a font issue.

If you could try the current fop trunk that would be good. If you can't
e-mail me directly a testcase together with the fonts you are using and
I'll give it a go.

BTW, I am assuming you are rendering to PDF.

Manuel