From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Font substitution
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 05:38:09 GMT
Hi all.

I've just remembered something I was going to ask a long time ago.  Sorry to
wake an old and potentially dead topic. ;-)

Vincent Hennebert said a few months ago:
> Actually both the PDF renderer and the Java2D one do the same thing,
> that is fall back to default fonts.  It's just that for PDF those default
> fonts are the well-known base 14 fonts, which support only a limited
> subset of Unicode (the latin range, basically).  For Java2D those are the
> Lucida fonts with a larger range of glyphs.

I have been wondering, is it possible to modify the PDF renderer so that it
does fall back to the Lucida fonts instead of the generic base 14 fonts?

I'm not particularly fussed about the creation of bloated PDF files as we
already have that right now and it's a better problem to have than the text
simply not rendering. :-)

The ultimate goal is that regardless of what font happens to be declared in
the FO file, if it can't render a given character I want some other font I
can control the existence of to render that character instead.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll
Nuix Pty Ltd