From Adrian Cumiskey <adrian.cumis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mixing languages and Unicode
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 14:16:05 GMT
Hi Mildred,

See my reply below..

Mildred wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a document using XSL and FOP containing tibetan
> prayers. And I'm having troubles with fonts.
>
> At first, all my tibetan characters were represented by a #. I looked
> at the fop website and I managed to create a configuration file, and to
> create a metric for my tibetan font. And everywhere I can found tibetan
> characters, i added the attribute font-family="Tibetan"
>
> But when there are latin characters and tibetan characters mixed
> together, it uses the tibetan font. But for the latin characters, the
> tibetan font draws them with serif. and all other latin characters in
> my document are sans-serif. So it doesn't look right.
>
> I would rather like to specify in my document the latin font. And let
> FOP use the tibetan font for tibetan characters (those characters can
> only be found here, it should not be too difficult). Is it possible ?

I believe the functionality you are looking for hasn't been implemented
in FOP yet.  In the future there will be provision for providing a comma
separated list of fonts in the font-family attribute so if the first
font cannot be used FOP will try to use the second one in the list and
so forth.

In the meantime, I think there might be a workaround for you by using
fo:inline to explicitly use a different font for Tibetan characters..

Example :-

<fo:block font-family="Sans-serif">
	Blah blah<fo:inline font-family="Tibetan">#260</fo:inline>, blah
</fo:block>

I hope that I have understood your question correctly and provided you
with an approach that may be of help to you.

Adrian.