From "Rizwan Virk" <...@cambridgedocs.com>
Subject interested in reading/contributing to books about fop?
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 22:45:24 GMT
Hi everyone,

As part of a new open-source initiative, I'm looking for both feedback
on and contributors to a potential book about fop.

The initiative is to produce either one or two books about certain open
source software products;

The goal is to do this using an open source model - with individual
chapters contributed by knowledgeable users/developers, and then making
the book available for free online reading (and a printed/bound version
for a fee like any other book).

While there are already books out there on xsl:fo I haven't seen a good
one dedicated to fop.  I was thinking we might do either one or two
books:

-"Fop tips and techniques" - this would be similar to the "hacks" books
and/or the "cookbooks" that are out there for various products.  This
might have snippets of fo code to accomplish various tasks that an
application which uses fop might want to do.  I always found myself
searching around for sample code for given tasks when I was using fop
and this might be a good way to encapsulate this knowledge.

-"fop: the unofficial user guide" - this would be similar to the ibm
"redbooks" that they have on ibm products - or the "missing manuals"
books that are out there.  Fop is better documented than some of the
open source projects out there, so am wondering whether this would be
useful.

I was wondering if you could provide feedback on:

a)       Do you think there's a need for one or both of these books?

b)       If so, would you be interested in contributing as either an
author, contributor, editor, or technical reviewer?

Please send me an email directly in response - riz@alum.mit.edu

Thanks!

Riz

Rizwan Virk

Chief Technologist, XML Publishing

CambridgeDocs, a division of Document Sciences

www.cambridgedocs.com <http://www.cambridgedocs.com>

617-821-6394, riz@cambridgedocs.com <mailto:riz@cambridgedocs.com>

personal: riz@alum.mit.edu <mailto:riz@alum.mit.edu>

IMPORTANT NOTICE

This communication is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is protected from
disclosure by applicable law. If the recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by telephone at 760-602-1400 and delete the communication from all email
files.