From "Brad Smith" <usernamenum...@gmail.com>
Subject Alignment of chinese/english characters
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 14:20:15 GMT
HI all,

One of our Chinese translators has brought up concerns about fop's
rendering that I'm not sure what to do about. Aparently in Chinese,
since all the characters take up the same amount of space, lines
should always be exactly the same width. Uneven lines look very
unprofessional.

The problem is that when you mix in western characters and spaces, it
seems to sometimes offset the line lengths. See the attached snippet
for an example. I'm a bit confused by this, because line 1 has three
western characters but sticks out farther than the others, even though
line 2 has the two western characters and the same number of overall
characters as line 1 and is the same width as the next line, which has
only one western character and fewer overall characters.

But more than what's causing the problem, I guess my question is: does
anyone know a way to enforce line lengths in the way the my translator
is asking for? I was hoping there might be a helpful fo:block
property, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks a ton to anyone who can help,
--Brad