From "Fred Janon" <fja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would an extension to print Gantt charts work?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:24:32 GMT
Thanks Jeremias, thanks Warren! It helps a lot.

Your two following points made it clearer for me:

"the answer here is to write your
Gantt generator to create XSL-FO, which you may then translate into
something else with FOP"

"the XSL-FO spec allows foreign XML formats
and images to be combined with XSL-FO documents"

I had looked at the Barcode extension code but could not figure out how it
was involved in the process. A couple of sequence diagrams would have
helped! I will have another look at the Plan extension, it is probably a
good starting point for understanding extensions more. Thanks also for the
Java2D/AWT explanation, somehow I was thinking that it would generate some
AWT components but I guess just generates the content of an AWT component.

I have a database with task objects with their name, start/end dates,
completion, etc. I want to compose (to print it via pdf, PCL) a large
document (10+ pages) containing a Gantt chart composed of a table with rows
of text and numbers, bars (graphics), columns with dates, a legend and some
notes, in a very similar way as Microsoft Project. FOP would help me
formatting the document (margin, centering...) and with the pagination after
I compose an XML document that describes the content of the document but not
the pagination? FOP could generate the pdf document for example with 10
pages and the page number with my content segmented on each page? Would I
have to create an extension to draw the graphics for the task bars?

Sorry about all these basic questions, but I have the feeling that FOP can
save us a lot of time in our project but it's always difficult to figure out
the use and limits of a technology without spending quite some time on it
and I don't have much of that.

Thanks for your help again.

Fred