From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: hyphenation problem
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:12:33 GMT
Hi Kumar,

Sorry for the delay, looks like I ended up forgetting this thread.

Puppala, Kumar (LNG-CON) wrote:
> Hi Vicent,
>    I am not sure if I understand you. If you look at newFop.pdf(from
> previous mail), the 14th line in the table cell ( 'sion scheme') has the
> overflow. It looks like the word 'scheme' started at the very edge of
> the table cell and the hyphenation did not occur. The oldFop.pdf file
> (generated using 0.20.5) demonstrates the correct behavior.

The word ‘scheme’ cannot be hyphenated, so it can only be placed on one
single line. But as it is wider than the column width, it would overflow
the column anyway.

What you see and which looks strange is a result of the total-fit
algorithm: FOP optimizes line breaks for the whole paragraph, instead of
working one line at a time. If it chose to put ‘sion scheme’ on one
line, that’s because that leads to an less bad overall result than if it
had cut it.

That’s the best it can do in such a special situation. Really, you
should make sure that the column is at least wide enough to make all the
syllables fit on one line.

> The testcase does come from real-life usecases. In some of our usecases,
> we do have table cells that accommodate only 1 character (which is
> usually a number).

Ok, but if you actually put only one character in such cells, you won’t
have any problem.

HTH,
Vincent