From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: hyphenation problem
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:23:27 GMT
Hi Kumar,

Puppala, Kumar (LNG-CON) wrote:
> Hi Vicent,
>    Thanks for the explanation for the FOP behavior that I am noticing.
> In the testcase that I sent out earlier, there are some situations where
> the word starts right on the border (for example, in 'on an employee's'
> text, the last word start right on the border). Regardless of the
> total-fit algorithm, I would have expected the word to start on the next
> line instead of beginning on the table border.
>
> Our data contains all kinds of languages and special characters and it
> is difficult to control what comes to us. We definitely need to go with
> the approach where the word flows to the next line if it cannot fit
> within the table-cell borders. The current total-fit algorithm does not
> bode well with our system and I would like to make changes in my local
> copy to get the desired behavior (as rendered by old FOP). If you can
> point me in the right direction to accomplish this, I would greatly
> appreciate.

I see your problem. Note that FOP 0.20.5’s behaviour was probably not
compliant, and really leads to poor results...
Anyway, I think the simplest way for you to achieve this is to put
zero-width spaces between each letter of the words, in a preliminary
process before feeding the FO to FOP. Hyphenation will then no longer be
necessary.

HTH,
Vincent