From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Default font FOP and Adobe
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:16:39 GMT
Hi,

Some nitpick from a typography amateur :-)

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm going to add this missing piece to our documentation right now.
> BTW,
> "any" is not mapped to "Times New Roman", but to "Times Roman". I don't
> know if there's a difference between the two. Probably not, nowadays,

There is. Times Roman is the original typeface created in 1931 for the
newspaper The Times [1]. It forms the base of the Postscript font
developed by Linotype and originally used as one of the Base 14 fonts of
PDF.

The URW Nimbus Roman No9 L font that can be found on Linux systems is
a clone of this font. The Times New Roman font is a TrueType font
developed by Monotype for Microsoft and whose metrics match the metrics
of the original Times font, so that it can be used as a replacement.

The case of Helvetica is very similar. Arial was also developed by
Monotype for Microsoft to match Helvetica’s metrics (see [2]).

I won’t enter the details, but this is all a problem of competition, at
the time, between Adobe and Microsoft, Postscript and TrueType fonts,
and license fees. I will also not launch the usual purist debate on this
topic ;-) The fact is that nowadays on Windows boxes Times New Roman and
Arial are always used as a replacement for Times and Helvetica, and
among others as Base 14 fonts for the Adobe Reader.

<snip/>

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Roman
[2] http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html

(Oops, my geek score has suddenly increased...)
Cheers,
Vincent