From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: How to code infinite page sequence loop?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:37:00 GMT
On Oct 31, 2007, at 11:03, Gregan, Miroslav wrote:

Hi

> I'm trying to implement an infinite loop of page-sequences
> (expecting to spare memory to render big pdf) I tested my code with
> both fop 0.20.5 and 0.94, but no changes with memory consumption
> were visible. So I suppose (hope also) that I coded something wrong
> in the XSL file or in the XML one:

At first glance, nothing seems wrong. Then I noticed this:

> I was only using one page sequence until now and experiencing
> memory problems for average sized report (500 pages) with -Xmx500M
> already so I though that using multiple page sequences, would spare
> me some memory (I have a lot of fo element), but nothing, the
> report looks exactly the same! I expected a page break after each
> pagesequences in the PDF, page numbering problems and so on, but
> nothing like that happened.

This seems weird. If your XSLT would really be generating separate
page-sequences, the tables should indeed be separated by a page-
break. Unless they all happen to just take up enough space to fill up
entire pages, you should notice /some/ effect on every last page of a
sequence...

Did you already check the resulting FO to see if it indeed contains
multiple fo:page-sequences?

> Good news afterwards, but on the other hand I still got
> OutOfMemoryException if I try to report more than 500 pages. Even
> disabling the total page numbering brings nothing.

Forward references could still be a bit problematic for very large
reports, although splitting into multiple page-sequences already
saves some here too.

> So I hope that someone can tell me what I coded wrong.

Difficult to say. As indicated, I'd start by checking the FO to see
whether it actually contains what you expect.

Cheers

Andreas