From John Brown <johnbrown...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Cannot convert MS Word HTML to PDF with fop-0.94; fop-0.20.5 worked
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:41:16 GMT

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:16:05 +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Can you please post a sample FO file? I don't want to waste too much
> time trying to reproduce your processing chain.
>
> Jeremias Maerki

I should have posted that I "solved" my problem by removing the xml:lang
attribute(or whatever it is called) that Xalan did not like.

Changing

wherever it occurred allowed fop-0.94 to process the file, although in my
estimation, fop-0.20.5 produced a PDF that was probably closer to the
original Word .DOC file.

I now understand that the real solution is a stylesheet for transforming
the HTML files produced by Word. The stylesheet that I am using is for
plain XHTML as produced by Tidy.

OpenOffice Writer does a better job of converting the PDF. It seems to
recognize the colours (syntax highlighting - C++ textbook) but not the
fonts (Verdana, Courier New, among others). Fop gave me a
black-and-white PDF.

Anyway, thanks for your response. You can consider this issue closed,
but feel free to post if you know of a free (as in free beer) stylesheet
that can transform Word HTML files.