Thanks Jeremias, thanks Warren! It helps a lot.

Your two following points made it clearer for me:

"the answer here is to write your
Gantt generator to create XSL-FO, which you may then translate into
something else with FOP"

"the XSL-FO spec allows foreign XML formats
and images to be combined with XSL-FO documents"

I had looked at the Barcode extension code but could not figure out how it was involved in the process. A couple of sequence diagrams would have helped! I will have another look at the Plan extension, it is probably a good starting point for understanding extensions more. Thanks also for the Java2D/AWT explanation, somehow I was thinking that it would generate some AWT components but I guess just generates the content of an AWT component.

I have a database with task objects with their name, start/end dates, completion, etc. I want to compose (to print it via pdf, PCL) a large document (10+ pages) containing a Gantt chart composed of a table with rows of text and numbers, bars (graphics), columns with dates, a legend and some notes, in a very similar way as Microsoft Project. FOP would help me formatting the document (margin, centering...) and with the pagination after I compose an XML document that describes the content of the document but not the pagination? FOP could generate the pdf document for example with 10 pages and the page number with my content segmented on each page? Would I have to create an extension to draw the graphics for the task bars?

Sorry about all these basic questions, but I have the feeling that FOP can save us a lot of time in our project but it's always difficult to figure out the use and limits of a technology without spending quite some time on it and I don't have much of that.

Thanks for your help again.

Fred