From "Li, Hao" <...@peacetech.com>
Subject RE: 508 compliance
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:53:33 GMT
Thanks Andreas.

Yes. It is about accessibility. Although the pdf can be generated, the
customer does not like it because of accessibility issues, for example:
missing PDF tags, lacking language specification etc.

After searching about tagged pdf, I found
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/pdfa.html. It seems that
PDF/A-1b is implemented, but not PDF/A-1a. Does it mean tagged PDF is
not supported yet? I will be testing it as well. If not, do you happen
to know nay java plugin or product that can make accessible FO
conversion?

Thank you very much.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas L Delmelle [mailto:a_l.delmelle@pandora.be]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:29 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: 508 compliance

On Jan 9, 2008, at 18:56, Li, Hao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anyone know if the PDF generated by fop 0.93 is 508 compliant
> or FOP does the effort to make it 508 compliant?

Honestly, I had no idea what is meant by "508 compliance" to begin with.

For all those who are interested: http://www.section508.gov/

> Or is it something relevant to the xml before the transformation
> not FOP?

At first glance, it seems to be something that applies to
"accessibility" of information in general (is not restricted to
printed media).

 From what I can tell immediately, I don't think this "508
compliance" holds for documents generated by FOP.
Note that the 'Common Accessibility' properties, as defined by the
XSL Rec, are for the largest part unimplemented in FOP at the moment.

KR

Andreas