From Terry Ofner <tof...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How to put batch process into background on Mac OS
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:44:18 GMT
Thanks for the ant tip Eric. The following build.xml does the trick
for the fop part of my process. I notice that the process is much
faster: 1 minute 45 seconds for 52 pdf documents. Before it was
taking anywhere from 8 to 11 minutes.

Here is my build.xml file:

<project name="MyTask" basedir="." default="generate-multiple-pdf">

<property name="fop.home" value="/Applications/fop-0.94"/>
<property name="build.dir" value="pdf_files"/>
<property name="source.dir" value="fo_files"/>

<taskdef name="fop"
          classname="org.apache.fop.tools.anttasks.Fop">
   <classpath>
     <fileset dir="${fop.home}/lib">
       <include name="*.jar"/>
     </fileset>
     <fileset dir="${fop.home}/build">
       <include name="fop.jar"/>
       <!--<include name="fop-hyph.jar" />-->
     </fileset>
   </classpath>
</taskdef>
<target name="generate-multiple-pdf"
         description="Generates multiple PDF files">
    <fop format="application/pdf"
         outdir="${build.dir}" messagelevel="debug">
         <fileset dir="${source.dir}">
            <include name="*.fo"/>
         </fileset>
    </fop>
</target>
</project>

I have not studied how to include the XSLT transformation. Here is
how it would go:

source XML document ----xslt transform via saxon (xslt 2.0) ---> 50
+ .fo documents ---fop--->50+ pdf documents.

The xslt automatically produces the 50 fo docs via <xsl:result-
document>. Would all this go into one build.xml? If so, would I just
call the xslt task first then call the "generate_multiple-pdf" task?

I am not sure that I need to bundle this all together. But it might
make my life easier.

Thanks again,

Terry