From knoxorino <p...@knoxor.com>
Subject Re: Embeded Cyrillic Font still showing unicode chars .. HELP!!
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:13:35 GMT

>Does the certificate generate these NCR's?
>I mean: getCertificateNumber() returns a java.lang.String.
>Now, any non-Western characters in that String should be Java Unicode
>characters (\uXXXX). If this method generates a String containing
>'&#XXXX;', then when doc.createTextNode() is called to insert the
>text into the DOM, the ampersands will be escaped to '&amp;'. The
>XSLT processor (and ultimately also FOP) will never see these as
>NCR's (= 1 character), but as a sequence of 7 characters ('&'
>escaped, followed by '#' etc.).

the method returns a character string in the format of '&amp;#xxxx;' (html
char entity codes?), I've
stepped into the code and the String stored in the Element class for that
particular ElementImpl (eg certificateNumber variable) is also in the
'&amp;#xxxx' format.

Does this mean that the  characters should be encoded into utf-8 and not
the html char entity codes ('&amp;#xxxx')  before creating a DOM xml Element
?

thanks for the help, I feel we're getting close here.

cheers
Paul