From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: some diacritical characters not rendered correctly
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:10:20 GMT
Both DejaVu and FreeFont work for the characters you mentioned. Please
note that "serif" is a virtual font which is mapped to a different font
(Helvetica in the case of PDF). And the Type 1 Helvetica font doesn't
have these characters.

http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/

On 22.02.2008 15:44:47 Ben Bosman wrote:
> I have been looking before for a font which is rendered correctly.
> I currently use 'serif' because it is rendered correctly when generating an
> rtf.
>
> I haven't found any fonts which rendered these characters correctly when
> generating a pdf.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Ben Bosman wrote:
> >
> > > I use fop to generate pdf's from docbook xml files.
> > > Everything is rendered correctly except for a few rare diacritical
> > > characters.
> > >
> > > A name like "Müslümanoğlu" is rendered as "Müslümano#lu"
> > > Another example is "Konstantinović" which is rendered as
> > > "Konstantinovi#"
> > >
> > > If I generate an rtf with fop from the same docbook xml file, the
> > > characters are rendered correctly.
> > >
> > > I have used fop 0.93 and 0.94 for this.
> > >
> > > I think this is a bug in apache fop, but I don't know if this is the
> > > correct place to report a bug.
> >
> > This is not a bug. You need to use a Font which has glyphs for the
> > diacritic characters. If the Font you specified in the XSL-FO does not
> > contain glyphs for the characters then # is output instead. Which
> > font-family have you specified in the XSL-FO?
> >
> > Chris

Jeremias Maerki