From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: different ZapfDingbats mappings
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:14:30 GMT
Hi,

Small complement to Jeremias’ answer:

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> "ZapfDingbats" is one of the base 14 fonts in PDF so a font file isn't
> necessary to produce a PDF. You'll find the Unicode code points to use
> here: http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf
>
> One of the available check boxes is: &#x274F;
>
> You can also take a look at examples/fo/basic/fonts.fo which
> demonstrates the full set of ZapfDingbats characters.
>
> If you still want the original ZapfDingbats font, you can buy it from
> Adobe. But that shouldn't be necessary.

Moreover, you don’t necessarily need the ZapfDingbats font to render
check boxes, you can also use any TrueType font that has a glyph for the
corresponding Unicode character (if you don’t mind embedding the font in
the resulting PDF). In addition to U+274F you can also choose U+25A1,
U+25A2, U+25FB, etc. All those characters are available in the DejaVu
fonts, for example.

Note also that U+F070 is in the Private Use Area of the Unicode
standard; characters selected in this area will then be specific to the
font used and the result is likely to not be portable.

HTH,
Vincent