From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: xsl:message for debuging
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:47:35 GMT
On Feb 27, 2008, at 21:01, bonekrusher wrote:

Hi

> I use the following XSL-FO to output messages to the console
> (windows).
>
> <xsl:if test="$output-comments = 'yes'">
>   <xsl:message>END template: match="warning"</xsl:message>
> </xsl:if>
>
> I want it to display:
>
> END template: match="warning"
>
> But it displays this:
>
> Feb 27, 2008 1:10:22 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: END template:
> match="warning"
>
> This is happening with any xsl:message. Is there a way to disable
> this?
>
> Or am I doing soething wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, but mind that the behavior of
xsl:message basically depends on the XSLT processor.
 From XSLT 1.0: "The xsl:message instruction sends a message in a way
that is dependent on the XSLT processor."
(read: you might see it on the console, which is probably the most
intuitive, but strictly speaking the implementation could just as
well decide to send them to a file...)

The only thing that is guaranteed is that the message will be sent,
and will possibly terminate the transformation, if so specified.

In practice, what happens here is that FOP's InputHandler is also the
javax.xml.transform.ErrorListener for the XSLT transform.
The XSLT processor, upon encountering the xsl:message, calls
InputHandler.warn(), passing it the content of the message wrapped in
a TransformerException.
FOP itself does no more than send this warning to the default log
implementation.
The only thing we could (should?) get rid of on the FOP-side is the
substring "javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: ", by using
Exception.getMessage() instead of Exception.toString(). The header
line and the prefix on the second line are controlled by the concrete
logger in use, which FOP knows nothing about.

If you know how to configure the format of the log-messages on your
end, xsl:message can be made to work as you would expect.

Cheers

Andreas