From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: To convert any image / doc to pdf using FOP
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:25:08 GMT
On Feb 26, 2008, at 21:00, Reddy, Prashanth wrote:

Hi

> Yes, I realized that I am using the Apache FOP 0.94 version. So , I
> might
> have to upgrade to higher version like 0.95. But I have few questions.
> 1) will that version work fine with converting all images, word
> documents,
> scanned documents, html.

Images, yes (as Jeremias mentioned).
Word documents? Yes, if you mean the WordML-format, but then you have
to take care of transforming WordML to XSL-FO first.
Same for HTML. If it is XHTML, then it can be transformed to FO using
XSLT. You could also achieve a similar transformation via Java code,
with CSS2XSLFO (http://www.re.be/css2xslfo/)

Note that with 0.95, it will also be possible to insert entire PDFs
(provided you have nothing against an additional dependency on
PDFBox, IIC)

> 2) In your previous message you have given a minimal document, using
> external graphics. Will you be able to tell where it is exactly
> placed in
> the web project folder structure. How is it accessed..

XSL-FO and FOP are quite flexible in this regard.
You can use absolute URIs for images with a static/central location.
Via the user-configuration, you can also specify a global base-URL
that will be used to resolve all relative URIs (http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/configuration.html).
And, on top of that, you could also implement a custom URIResolver of
your own that goes looking for the image wherever you want. This
might be handy if the images are stored as BLOBs in a database.

HTH!

Andreas