From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Assigning generated page number to a variable fo:page-number citation
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:17:39 GMT
Nedim Buke wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I need to generate index for the document. I tried to find out whether
> there is extensions for doing this. Unfortunately it couldn't find any
> predefined solution So I decided to write my own index generator via
> xsl-fop using templates. This index consisting of any index tags inside
> the source document. One index can be in any page multiple times. So I
> need to group and sort page numbers where the indexentries lies. To do
> this I need to assign <xsl:page-number-citation> to a varible to
> continue the group and sort process. It seems it is not possible to do
> this in normal manner.

You cannot manipulate results of fo:page-number-citation in an XSLT
process. The reason being that XSLT and XSL-FO run as 2 separate
independent processes with no feedback mechanism between the two.

>  Does any body has a clue on working page numbers before printing them?
> Should write them in any temp location and then read them?

XSL-FO 1.1 has new FOs for implementing indexes. Here is the link to the
relevant section of the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#d0e13293

Unfortunately FOP doesn't implement any of these FOs yet. I can't think
of any alternative solutions.

Sorry,

Chris