From "Puppala, Kumar (LNG-CON)" <kumar.pupp...@lexisnexis.com>
Subject RE: fo:table-row issues
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:35:32 GMT
Andreas,
  You are correct in you analysis that having such data does not make
much sense. But since we are a downstream system and we don't control
the data that comes to us (in XML format), we do implicit conversions to
XSL-FO format using our own programs. As such, we need to account for
all such weird situations :)

Thanks !!

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Delmelle [mailto:andreas.delmelle@telenet.be]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 12:41 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: fo:table-row issues

On Feb 4, 2008, at 18:03, Puppala, Kumar (LNG-CON) wrote:

Hi

> Thanks for the quick reply. I tried both the suggestions and am
> still having issues. Listed below are my findings:
>
> What if you add two empty cells, or simply leave out the empty row?
>
> If I add two empty cells, the renderer complains that the number of
> cells in the row overflows. The error message is as shown below:
>
> "org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error(67/15): column-number
> or number of cells in the row overflows the number of fo:table-
> column specified for the table."

OK. This still seems understandable to me, although it does not help
your case, but...
> If I leave out the entire row, I see different results between fop
> 0.94 and fopTrunk. In fop 0.94, it renders but the borders on the
> top for the two cells are missing (attaching the pdf doc). However,
> in fopTrunk, I get the following validation exception:
>
>  "org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: A table-cell is spanning
> more rows than available in its parent element."

This seems to be a bit too strong to me. I'd prefer a warning and a
fallback to the number of available rows, instead of throwing a
ValidationException in this case... Maybe I'm missing some parts of
the XSL-FO Rec, but it does not mention this explicitly as an error.

What do others think?

OTOH, now I'm wondering why you would create a table with only one
row, and a cell in that row that spans two rows, or even: why you
would in that case want to add another row, just so the cell can span
two rows... It seems more correct to omit the number-rows-spanned
property in that case, but of course, I have no idea if this is
simple to achieve by altering your stylesheet.

Cheers

Andreas