From Justus-b...@Piater.name
Subject Re: Font naming and fonts used in SVG external graphics
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:43:12 GMT
Jeremias -

I have found the cause for this one:

Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote on Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:18:37 +0100:

>   - The two DejaVu fonts ("DejaVu Sans" and "DejaVu Serif") are
>     condensed.

- DejaVuSerif.ttf calls declares the family name "DejaVu Serif", and
  DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf declares the family names "DejaVu Serif
  Condensed" and "DejaVu Serif".

- FontInfoFinder.generateTripletsFromFont() registers triplets for all
  (distinct) family names a font declares.

I have not checked how Fop resolves this conflict, but of course, one
font is chosen in the end, and for me it's the condensed font that
wins.

It seems odd to me that two DejaVu fonts declare the same family name.

What is the semantics of multiple family names? Is there an order of
preference? In this case, one could change Fop to drop the condensed
"DejaVu Serif" triple since "DejaVu Serif" is its second family name,
whereas it is the first family name of the non-condensed font.

Or (or And, in case of ties), one might prefer the non-condensed
"DejaVu Serif" triple since the font full name and the family name are
in agreement, whereas they aren't for the condensed font.
Might be a useful heuristics...

Justus