From Justus-b...@Piater.name
Subject Re: Font naming and fonts used in SVG external graphics
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:18:37 GMT
Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on Wed, 06 Feb 2008
20:52:48 +0100:

> Please delete the cache file and check if it gets any better. :-)

Progress after deleting fop-fonts.cache! I've updated the files on my
Web server.

- For the "official" font names (as used by Inkscape et al.), the
  output for SVG text and fo text is identical except for the DejaVu
  fonts, see below. pdffonts produces the exact same output for both.

  Almost all fonts are correct now; there are only two problems that
  remain:

  - All Nimbus fonts are italic; in addition, Nimbus Roman is
    bold. This is consistent between SVG and fo text.

  - The two DejaVu fonts ("DejaVu Sans" and "DejaVu Serif") are
    condensed. Here, the characters in SVG text are slightly more
    widely spaced than those in fo text; I suspect that Batik used the
    (correct) non-condensed font metrics to place the characters,
    whereas fop used the condensed fonts (including their metrics for
    fo text).

- There should be no reason anymore to look into the "wrong" font
  names, but I'll do it anyway because one of the inconsistencies I
  observe may shed light onto the preceding issue concerning DejaVu
  fonts (here called "DejaVuSans" and "DejaVuSerif" without spaces):

  - fo text uses the correct (non-condensed) fonts.

  - SVG text however produces the exact same result as above:
    condensed font, using (apparently) non-condensed metrics.

Does this information already help you? If not, I'll try your
debugging suggestions, but it may take a while until I get around to
it.

Thanks,
Justus