From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Fop 0.95beta - svg tif images
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:19:27 GMT
On Apr 10, 2008, at 22:55, Peter Coppens wrote:
> Well...I did the test with only a tif.
>
> 0.94 --> 4sec
> 0.95beta -->  78sec
>
> Somewhat worrying to be honest (although I guess it might be due to
> the fact that I am using a jai image io jar extracted from a linux
> package)
>
> I guess, next is to try Jeremias's version that gets rid of the jai
> image io dependancy for tiff's...

According to what I found, the problem could be not so much JAI
ImageIO itself, but the codecs.
Apparently, Apple does not provide native codecs for all formats, and
the implementation 'gracefully' falls back to pure Java mode, which
is significantly slower...

Seems like it is definitely worth keeping the built-in TIFF codec in
XMLGraphics.

Cheers

Andreas