From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Apache FOP: Embedding PDF, EPS
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 13:16:11 GMT

On 07.04.2008 13:08:33 Peter Coppens wrote:
> For pdf, checkout http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/index.html

Yep. ;-)

> For eps, you probably get "expected" behavior (but I am not sure)  -
> see http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/graphics.html#eps

Right. I have not reimplemented EPS support for the new image support
(i.e. FOP 0.95beta or later) by the way. As the link above indicates,
EPS support in PDF is deprecated since a few years, it's not recommended.
Since we don't have a good, nicely licensed PostScript interpreter we
cannot convert the EPS to PDF instructions. You could however, convert
the EPS to PDF externally (with GhostScript) and use the PDF with the
PDF plug-in above.

In FOP 0.94, embedding EPS in PDF works but the EPS only shows up if the
document is printed on a PostScript printer (or with GhostScript) and
the respective settings have been made in Acrobat Reader. The EPS will
never show up in Acrobat Reader because it doesn't contain a PostScript
interpreter. The EPS is embedded in the PDF as-is. It is not converted
for the reasons indicated above.

> Hth,
>
> Peter
>
> On 07 Apr 2008, at 13:00, Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> > Hi there again
> >
> > Is there a way to embed a PDF or an EPS as a graphic using apache
> > fop 0.94?
> >
> > With PDF, I get the error "[Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not
> > allowed in prolog. [WARN] No ImageReader found for file:/t:/test/
> > 2.pdf"...
> > With EPS, I get no error, but the graphic is not embedded...
> >
> > Thanks & kind regard,
> > Oliver Hirschi

Jeremias Maerki