From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Fop 0.95beta - svg tif images
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:09:35 GMT
On Apr 11, 2008, at 23:30, Peter Coppens wrote:

Hi Peter

> I don't like the jai dependancy (don't like native Java libraries)

Very rightly so. As demonstrated by this particular case, if one
platform lacks native support, it seriously breaks the usability of
the library as a platform-independent way of handling images.

Maybe this will be better in Apple Java 6, but I can't test since the
DP is only available for 64-bit Intel Macs and I'm still on
PowerPC... :(

> but Jeremias' patch would solve that. The 6x performance hit
> is ....more troublesome :(

Does this performance hit here also increase with the number of TIFFs
you include (as you verified with Sun's pure Java implementation), or
is the effect restricted to the first one? If you include, say 6
different images, is there still a 6x performance hit, or does it
shrink? The latter would indicate that the performance hit could
actually be a sign of good scalability (always think positive ;-)).
A performance /hit/ for very low numbers, which decreases, then once
a threshold is reached, translates itself into an actual performance /
benefit/ for the larger numbers (?)
An algorithm with linear behavior will perform better (sometimes /
much/ better) for only one execution, than one with logarithmic
behavior. The latter, OTOH, will very soon become your friend as the
number of executions starts to grow. Slower for a single execution
due to the added complexity, but this added complexity would
precisely have as its purpose to reduce the runtime for future
executions. Only if there are none, does this become pure overhead.

Another thing you could try out: Is there a similar difference in
timing if the TIFF is included as an fo:external-graphic? That would
already allow to factor Batik out of the equation.

Cheers

Andreas