From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: FOP memory issues in servlet on Websphere
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:05:56 GMT
On Apr 8, 2008, at 22:01, Andreas Delmelle wrote:
<snip />

>> 24 page sequences (w/ even and odd sequence masters on sequences
>> other than
>> blank and cover pages):
>>
>> - 2 sequences are table of contents
>> - 1 sequence is a back of the book index
>> - 2-3 static content sequences
>> - Other sequences are dynamic and include multi-column data
>>
>> I have done all the sugestions to improve performance on the
>> Apache site as
>> far as multiple sequences and so forth.  As you can see I cannot
>> avoid
>> forward references because of the table of contents (English and
>> Spanish). I
>> also went through and reduced the amount of redundant code (font
>> information
>> and other attributes that the XSL designer added).
>
> If you have followed all the suggestions so far, and you simply
> cannot do without forward references, I see no other option than to
> try to limit the amount of requests that can be processed
> concurrently in your webapp somehow (by introducing a level of
> indirection, and a sort of waiting queue...)

Come to think of it, since you're already looking in the direction of
the intermediate format, one workaround may be:
- to work with backward references + move the TOC-sequences to the
last position
- manipulate the intermediate area tree through a relatively
straightforward XSLT to swap the sequence's positions before the PDF
is created

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas