From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Performance problems when generating TIFF on IBM iSeries
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:31:34 GMT
On Apr 1, 2008, at 13:44, Martin Kristensen wrote:

> I haven't been able to switch to another JVM as we apparently only
> have
> this one installed, and it's not an option to install others for some
> reason. I have tried to play a bit around with the memory settings,
> with
> no effect, but apparently it doesn't use that much memory. It's also a
> very simple page with a few lines of text (the "projectteam" example
> included with FOP.) So I don't think memory consumption per se is the
> problem, it's more likely some part of java.awt that's implemented
> very
> inefficiently on the OS400 JVM.

Concerning your initial suspicion of the font-rendering:
I do seem to remember someone mentioning that FOP's font-related code
generates a rather high number of calls into the AWT classes for the
related output formats (but that was quite a while ago). It's not so
much the drawString() method, as stuff like
java.awt.FontMetrics.getStringBounds(), which is called once for each
character (!), and unfortunately, the result is not buffered anywhere
for the same character in the same font... If this method is poorly
implemented on the side of the JVM, the effect on FOP's Java2D
rendering could be quite noticeable, I think.

> One of my colleagues suggested trying Sun's PDFRenderer, which can
> convert PDFs to bitmapped graphics (https://pdf-
> renderer.dev.java.net/)
> This works fine, except it's just as slow (7 minutes for a faxable
> TIFF.) So I guess it uses awt as well.

Probably, but it could also be partly caused by the fact that the PDF
needs to be re-parsed before converting it to graphics.

> But there's a lot of other Java
> based PDF->graphics converters out there, so I'll keep trying. Anyone
> happen to know one that doesn't use awt?

I doubt it somehow, but good luck anyway!

Cheers

Andreas