From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Changing orientation with fo:block-container holding a table
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 17:04:14 GMT
On May 7, 2008, at 18:24, Andreas Delmelle wrote:

Just realized that it came out a bit wrong:

> This looks buggy indeed, but I'm not 100% certain what the bug is
> exactly (or even if there is one).
> The more I think about, the more correct the behavior seems to be.

I did not mean the 'behavior', but FOP's interpretation.

On top of that:

> BUT: The available space in block-progression-dimension for the
> table would, still be the reference-area's block-progression-
> dimension (the block-container's height, not the page-width) [?]

Right now, you have situation of overflow, rather than a break (with
0.95). As far as I understand, 0.94 was wrong to break the table there.

The block-container overflows the region-body in inline-progression-
dimension, hence no page-break.

Strange as it may seem, you would only get a page-break if the inline-
progression-dimension of the block-container exceeds the available
space in block-progression-dimension.

> At least this interpretation is reflected in 0.95, where I don't
> see the header appear anymore.
> If not rotated, then the block-container can grow to fit the table
> on one page, so I see no page-break.
>
> OTOH, if I switch to 16cm block-progression dimension, with a
> rotated region-body then the block-container also does not break,
> where I'd expect it to...

I think I made an interpretation error here. Rotating the region-
body, also does not suddenly swap bpd and ipd.
We will only get a page-break if the flow exceeds the available space
in block-progression-direction (the page-height), but overflow in
inline-progression-direction, hence no break.

Even so, when you specify a bpd on the block-container into which the
entire table fits, without breaks, then the block-container will not
be broken. Only its contents will overflow the available page-height
(read: with explicit bpd, even rotating the entire page does not help).

Maybe there's something clever you can pull off with nested block-
containers. Another idea may be to give the region-body less height,
but that would not work if the block-container appears among other
content. :/

In any case, the only way you can influence ipd-bpd direction
relative to the flow, is to switch to a different writing-mode, but
FOP is currently still severely limited in this area.

Cheers

Andreas