From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Major issue with image loading in FOP 0.95beta
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 15:41:47 GMT
On May 5, 2008, at 17:22, Jean-Fran├žois El Fouly wrote:

Hi

> Sorry, I guess in the strictest sense this is xmlgraphics-common
> related now, but it was discovered and investigated using FOP
> 0.95beta.
>
> We upgraded from 0.94 to use the new bookmarks features and our
> software became globally unstable, hanging randomly during PDF
> generation -- to be precise, getting all kinds of random problems
> during image loading.
> The images we use are stored in SVN and retrieved via their HTTP
> URLs from an SVN server. Reading the SVN logs, we see a very
> different behaviour between 0.94 (which worked fine and has been
> retested since) and 0.95beta: the FOP requests litteraly
> "suffocate" the SVN server, sending quite a lot of requests for
> images and taking way too long to consume the responses. So, after
> a (random) while, the SVN server gives up (timeout) and the FOP
> application on the other side crashes immediately after. At least
> that is how we understand the problem after testing and reading all
> sorts of server logs (with a sysadmin) for a whole day.
> This looks like a major regression and makes 0.95beta completely
> unusable for us -- though we badly need the new features :-(
>
> If anybody had an idea, I must say I'd be extremely grateful...

Two questions, for the moment:
Which image format(s) are you using?
Does the JAI/ImageIO implementation on the box where FOP runs, have a
native codec to read that format?

If one of the formats is TIFF, and the answer to the second question
is No, then a possible solution may be to try out a more recent
version of the xmlgraphics-commons jar.
Jeremias has recently re-activated the old FOP TIFF-loader to avoid
the fallback to Sun's default pure Java implementation, which is
significantly slower.

Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue, unfortunately.

HTH!

Andreas