From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Making a Large Dictionary
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 11:10:02 GMT
On May 18, 2008, at 06:10, Ted Young wrote:

Hi

> I am using FOP version 0 .94 under Java 1.6 update 6.
>
> I am using FOP to create a PDF dictionary from a source XML file.
> There are only 12,000 entries in this dictionary.  The tricky bit
> is that the words being defined are in Ancient Egyptian
> Hieroglyphs.  Each word (or phrase) is stored in SVG format.  So
> ultimately my FO document contains 12,000 instream-foreign-object
> tags each containing SVG.  This configuration alone taxes the 1 GB
> memory limit I am able to give to my virtual machine (a known issue
> with running Java under Windows).
>
> Each dictionary entry would like to contain zero or more
> alternative words and phrases (think thesaurus).  This increases
> the number of instream-foreign-object tags containing SVG to the
> order of 30,000 or 40,000.  Even breaking this up into individual
> chapters I have a very hard time rendering these documents.  They
> consume vast amounts of memory and bring my system to a halt even
> under Linux.

Breaking up the document into chapters will not save /very/ much if
there are a lot of cross-references, especially when they point
forward to later chapters...

> So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could
> optimize my FO document and use of SVG.  Since all of the "see
> also" words and phrases can be found elsewhere in my document is
> there a way to generate a PDF-layer reference to content located at
> another part of a document? I am thinking of something analogous to
> symbols in Flash; a way of having FOP render the SVG word or phrase
> once and have it instruct the PDF to reuse that content in many
> locations.

If you would insert the SVG as fo:external-graphic and the source URI
for the image is the same, it should normally be re-used at the other
places it is referenced. Since fo:instream-foreign-objects do not
have a URI, I don't think this allows for any internal caching/re-
using of the images...
I'm not 100% certain, but I think using i-f-o currently means that
inserting the same SVG 1000 times would lead to 1000 separate SVG
DOMs as foreign nodes in the FO tree (?)

Trying external-graphic would, of course, require an extraction of
all the SVG that is currently put in fo:instream-foreign-object to
separate files.
If you don't already have separate files, then as a tryout, this
could probably be done by applying an XSL transform to your current
FO document, replacing fo:instream-foreign-object with fo:external-
graphic, and using extensions to produce one output document per
encountered SVG.

Taking care of duplicates may turn out to be a challenge with this
approach, though...

If you already retrieve the SVG from separate files, or from a
database, you could adapt the stylesheet to produce fo:external-
graphic instead, and pass it the URI that is used as a source.

HTH!

Andreas