From paul womack <pwom...@papermule.co.uk>
Subject Re: variable size output (pages)?
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 12:17:45 GMT
Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> On May 6, 2008, at 14:16, paul womack wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> In effect I want to generate "galleys" of text,
>> where the formatting width is known, but the depth
>> of the final output is determined by the amount
>> of text formatted, in effect fitting the page
>> to the content.
>
> What you would need:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#page-height
>
> See the defined possible value of "indefinite"
>
> FOP does not implement this yet, unfortunately (while the compliance
> page /does/ indicate full compliance; correction/note needed)
>
> For the moment, your area tree idea is probably your best bet, unless
> you feel like joining us, and diving into the code yourself... ;-)

O.K.

I've found this documentation on the "area tree" internal modelling:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/design/areas.html

I think this page:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/intermediate.html

says that the XML format is "subject to change".

q1) May I assume that any particular version of FOP would be able
to consume an area tree (XML) that it had itself generated?

q2) And, a detail question, which I have not been (easily)
able to find an answer to: in the area tree, what are the units?

(I could reverse engineer, but I'd rather not)

My present plan is to identify the lower bound of the last text line
from the area tree, then use that to perform a second fop pass (all
the way from the start) with a "carefully contrived" page-height.

   BugBear