From paul womack <pwom...@papermule.co.uk>
Subject formatting stricture differing from data structure?
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 15:58:02 GMT
I've succeeded (hearty thanks to all who have helped)
in making EPSF files.

Preview TIFFS are made using ghostscript (via imagemagick),
the fop postscript is turned into EPSF via some viciously
unsubtle edits using perl, and the tiff put onto the EPSF
with a suitable header via a little more perl.

Up until this point I've put little emphasis
on the sophistication of my stylesheet programming
(xslt) or formatting (fo).

My present data exactly matches (in structure)
my styling.

I can thus put one fo element on each data element,
and I'm good to go.

Even I can get the XSLT right for this...

A couple of questions have now occurred to me,
which a reading the Tidwell book
hasn't answered (easily).

If my feed xml (in DTD form) were:

<!ELEMENT data (heading, summary?, paragraph+)>

How could I (best) get a single fo element around
any summary (if present) and all the paragraphs?

Or in

<!ELEMENT poem (title,verse+)>

How could I get the first verse to be formatted
differently to the rest?

In both cases I want a fo element where
there isn't an exactly analogous element in
the feed xml.

I feel I'm missing something obvious;
I assume XSLT can easily handle this, given
that it can do cross referencing and sorting and stuff,
but I can't see how.

Can somebody point out the obvious to me?

   BugBear