From "kindaian@gmail.com" <kinda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xml file with html code inside. How to make xml -> FOP -> pdf
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 23:14:33 GMT
Ok... I had a worse problem with the project i was involved...

I had to "clean-up" from MSOffice html to produce nice xml that would be
"eaten" up by fop.

The issue was simply sorted with the use of tons of regexp, coupled with
the use of tidy to convert the html to xml compliant html and then the
final fase of transform to fo (i opted for doing it by hand, but xslt
can also be used after you have a compliant xml).

I opted not to use xslt because of the ton of exceptions that MSOffice
trash inserted into the html. And my cleanup system had more then 500
lines of code! Full of regexps, replaces and the like.

My main problems where:

a) tags intermingled in the wrong order like < b > < i > < / b > < /
i >
(tidy)
b) tags without start/end < br > < l i > (replaces)
c) uncompreensible stuff: all the css and meta tags MSOffice likes so
much (regexp and replaces)
d) strange characters: unicode entities not declared, characters that
break xml < & (regexp and replaces)

To conclude, yes, it was a work intensive task, but in the end, i had a
clean html, with the formatings i needed to keep and those that i didn't
needed removed. And when you have 5k pages of text to review, you don't
go and tell the client: "correct the text and try again"... You do
something to cleanup the problems (the great majority of them at least).

In the example you provided the following will break xml:

          <Title>Na zolotom kryl&apos;ce sideli</Title>

Most of the regexp and replaces i had to use was to replace stuff like
that with the xml compliant ones (and/or define stuff as entity).

So, good luck on the project... and hope i was of some help...
LF

P.S.- it was all done with php/tidy/javabridge/tomcat/fop btw and if you
want an advice, twick the editor to allow only the stuff you need and
try to use tidy for the rest, prolly you can sort out all the problems
that way.