From Jean-François El Fouly <jean-franc...@elfouly.fr>
Subject Re: Multi and Single Column layout on same page
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 16:22:33 GMT
Laurent Yaish a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
>
> How would I go about creating a layout that uses mutiple columns on
> half of the page (i.e. using region-body column-count) and a single
> column on the other half?
> I need to content to automatically span the columns so a table
> wouldn't work... any ideas?
> Is it even possible?
>
> Thanks!
I think it's impossible, and to quote a more authorized opinion on this
very question (Dave Pawson, /XSL-FO,/ O'Reilly, 2002, Appendix A) :

<quote>

/Can I create a newspaper-style layout: part of the page with one
column, the rest with multiple columns?/

    Simply put, no. The present Recommendation focuses on content-driven
    layout, not layout-driven formatting. The former simply pours the
    content into predefined areas, the latter dictates where the content
    should go. It is a known issue that I hope will be addressed in the
    next version of the Recommendation.

    Presently, you can fix this by using tables for layout, as in HTML,
    but don't expect content to wrap from one fake column to another.

</quote>