From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: multiple outputs
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 12:28:47 GMT
On May 8, 2008, at 14:06, paul womack wrote:
> Andreas Delmelle wrote:
>> If you would use FOP multiple times in a row, without restarting
>> the JVM, then over a few runs that will save you minutes...
>> The very first run is always a lot slower due to static
>> initialization, class loading etc. Once the VM is warmed up, the
>> average runtime for a formatting run will drastically reduce. To
>> see what I mean, you could already make the comparison: try 50
>> isolated runs from the command-line, and afterwards, perform the
>> same 50 runs, but then looped in a single small class.
>
> Hmm. As a compromise, I may be able to create a java class
> that accepts multiple "commandlines" from stdin.

A possible option: I once wrote a very small 'FOP server program'. No
servlet container needed or anything, just a simple program that
opens a socket, and listens for simple string requests in a form that
suited me. A modified version of the example files, surrounded by an
infinite loop.
If you know just a bit of Java, this should take only very little
time. Programming threads and sockets in Java is a piece of cake,
when compared to C.

Something like that suffices to keep the Java VM running until a
forced shutdown, and avoid any startup overhead on all but the very
first run.

I have only very little experience with Perl, but IIC, it should be
equally straightforward to send the client request from within a script.

Maybe an idea for you.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas