From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Changing orientation with fo:block-container holding a table
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 16:24:30 GMT
On May 7, 2008, at 17:04, Alexander Stamenov wrote:

Hi

> The table is rotated very nicely but the problem occurs if the table
> cannot fit in the container. The rendering of the table continues to
> the end of the page (right side in the 90 case) and after that it is
> continued on the next page. What I think is a bug or misuse by me is
> that the transition to the next page should occur when the
> block-container ends. The fact that the table header is re-rendered at
> the point where the correct transition should occur makes me speculate
> that this might be a bug.

This looks buggy indeed, but I'm not 100% certain what the bug is
exactly (or even if there is one).
The more I think about, the more correct the behavior seems to be.

What I found out so far, is that it works if you specify the
reference-orientation on the region-body, and leave it off the block-
container.

Now, it seems a bit problematic IMO, since:
- the block-container has no specified height => auto-height, which
means the total height should be equal to the content-height
- that height will only increase in case the block-container's
content overflows the available space in block-progression-direction

Contrary to what one could assume (and what I once believed as well),
the reference-orientation property has no influence on the
correspondence mapping. This means that, even though you have rotated
the block-container, inline-progression-dimension will still
correspond to width. This seems to work OK: the block-container is
16cm wide.

BUT: The available space in block-progression-dimension for the table
would, still be the reference-area's block-progression-dimension (the
block-container's height, not the page-width) [?]

At least this interpretation is reflected in 0.95, where I don't see
the header appear anymore.
If not rotated, then the block-container can grow to fit the table on
one page, so I see no page-break.

OTOH, if I switch to 16cm block-progression dimension, with a rotated
region-body then the block-container also does not break, where I'd
expect it to...

Cheers

Andreas