From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Page bottom padding
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 18:25:58 GMT
On May 5, 2008, at 20:06, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> kindaian a écrit :
>>
>> This is what I wanted it to happen:
>> ---- top of page
>> |XXXXX -block one
>> |
>> |XXXXX -block two
>> |
>> |XXXXX -block three
>> ---- bottom of the page
>>
>> I think what I'm looking can be called "vertical-justify". And is
>> something very useful to make layouts like yellow pages and the like
>> (lots of small blocks of text, spread on several columns in the page,
>> justified to the top and bottom of the page).
>
> There’s no need for a vertical-justify setting to achieve this. You
> can
> just specify elastic spaces between the blocks:
>     <fo:block space-after.minimum="0"
>               space-after.optimum="0"
>               space-after.maximum="30pt">block one</fo:block>
>     etc.
>
> FOP will use the amount of stretchable whitespace that’s avaialable to
> “justify” the content on the page.

FWIW: What I think XSL-FO currently does not have, is a way to tell
the formatter to distribute the lines evenly over an area.

Take

<fo:block linefeed-treatment="preserve">
line1
line2
line3
</fo:block>

If you use display-align on an ancestor table-cell or block-
container, that would only specify something about a constraint on
the placement of the block as a whole.

Something like display-align="justify" does not exist. I do see
references in the code towards the beginning of an implementation,
though.

Cheers

Andreas