From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Problem using Lucida Console font
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 08:30:49 GMT
On May 7, 2008, at 10:11, Antti Karanta wrote:

Hi

> My adventures with fonts continue. Now I run into trouble trying to
> use Lucida Console (in pdf).
>
> What I have is this:
>
> <fo:block space-before.minimum="0.8em" space-before.optimum="1em"
> space-before.maximum="1.2em" space-after.minimum="0.8em" space-
> after.optimum="1em" space-after.maximum="1.2em" hyphenate="false"
> wrap-option="no-wrap" white-space-collapse="false" white-space-
> treatment="preserve" linefeed-treatment="preserve" text-
> align="start" font-family="'Lucida Console'" id="d0e69">blah blah</
> fo:block>
>
>   I also tried
>
> font-family="Lucida Console"
>
>   (i.e. without the single quotes)

FWIW: Both should work. XSL-FO refers to CSS for the definition, and
the CSS spec only /recommends/ to use quotes for font-family names
with spaces, but FOP should allow and process both variants correctly.

> FOP says
>
> WARNING: Font 'Lucida Console,normal,400' not found. Substituting
> with 'any,normal,400'.
>

> This is strange since the other fonts in c:\WINDOWS\Fonts directory
> seem to work ok when referenced (e.g. Tahoma, Verdana).
>
> Could there be a problem because the font name has a space in it?

Very close. IIC, the problem would be that the TTF-file itself
contains another font-name than 'Lucida Console'.
I seem to remember a similar issue popping up recently (but that was
for Type1 fonts). That issue was confirmed to be fixed in 0.95 head
(to be released in a couple of weeks). Maybe it also solves your
problem...?

Can you try to checkout and build FOP 0.95 (*), and see if that helps
already? If you don't have them yet: Subversion, a JDK and Apache Ant
are needed to do this.
If you don't have those tools handy, and you won't ever need them for
anything else, then it is probably overkill to set up.
In that case, I hope someone out there chimes in to confirm/refute
what I mentioned above. I currently have no Windows-box to test on...

(*) http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html#source

Cheers

Andreas