From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: Problem using Lucida Console font
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 00:37:46 GMT
On May 7, 2008, at 22:16, John Brown wrote:

Hi John

> I am on Linux (Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10?)). Auto-detection of
> fonts does not work most of the time.

Judging from the info, it's not so much the font-detection that isn't
working, but rather, it points to issues with the loading/parsing of
the font-files.

The AFM parser is a relatively new addition IIC, so could be that
there are still some hiccups in there.

Personally, I have seen issues with the TrueType fonts for Mac, where
the Windows variant is perfectly parsed.
I suspect this is due to the fact that the devs working on the font-
TTFs available to test.

On another note: which JVM are you using? One thing I did notice when
I once looked closer at the TTFLoader is a lot of bit-shifting. It
would only require a small quirk in the JVM in that respect to make
the loader parse the file completely wrong...

Cheers

Andreas