From John Brown <johnbrown...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem using Lucida Console font
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 20:16:06 GMT
Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delmelle <at> telenet.be> writes:

> On May 7, 2008, at 10:30, Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> > <snip />
> >
> > Can you try to checkout and build FOP 0.95 (*), and see if that
> > helps already?

<snip/>

> If you still need it, the URL to use with SVN for 0.95 head:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_95
>
> Cheers
>
> Andreas

I am on Linux (Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10?)). Auto-detection of
fonts does not work most of the time. For example, I cannot use
Bodoni (Type 1 font - the download page says that it is shareware,
but neither the site nor the ZIP file says who should be paid).
I downloaded the font at
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000017011.

Scribus lets me embed this font in a PDF, and Scribus itself
says that it is strict about the fonts that it allows to be
embedded, so I assume that nothing is wrong with the font.

'fc-list Bodoni' gives:
Bodoni:style=Bold
Bodoni:style=Normal-Italic
Bodoni:style=Normal

'ls /usr/local/share/fonts/bodoni*' gives:
/usr/local/share/fonts/bodoni.afm   /usr/local/share/fonts/bodonii.pfb
/usr/local/share/fonts/bodonib.afm  /usr/local/share/fonts/bodonii.pfm
/usr/local/share/fonts/bodonib.pfb  /usr/local/share/fonts/bodoni.pfb
/usr/local/share/fonts/bodonib.pfm  /usr/local/share/fonts/bodoni.pfm
/usr/local/share/fonts/bodonii.afm

AFM, PFM and PFB files are all present.

However fop-trunk svn (653186, 2008-05-03) and fop-0.95beta svn
(653537, 2008-05-05) both say:
WARNING: Font 'Bodoni,normal,400' not found. Substituting
with 'any,normal,400'.

I used the same FO and fop.xconf that was posted.

I noticed that fop printed a lot of warnings like:

May 7, 2008 2:05:22 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile determineAscDesc
WARNING: Ascender and descender together are larger than the em box. This
could lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache FOP.

and

May 7, 2008 2:05:35 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile
guessVerticalMetricsFromGlyphBBox
WARNING: xHeight value could not be determined. The font may not work as
expected.
May 7, 2008 2:05:35 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.type1.PFMFile loadExtMetrics
WARNING: Size of extension block was expected to be 52 bytes, but was 0 bytes.

The messages do not say which fonts cause the warnings. I do
not know if it matters.

By the way, I have found a few Type 1 fonts that fop
recognises, but no TrueType fonts so far.