From "Antti Karanta" <antti.kara...@napa.fi>
Subject Italic Tahoma
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 10:26:54 GMT

                    Hi!

   I tried using fo:inline element to produce italic text using Tahoma
font. It did not work. Here's what I did:

<fo:inline font-family="Tahoma" font-style="italic">italics</fo:inline>

   FOP said:

6.5.2008 13:08:31 org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
WARNING: Font 'Tahoma,italic,400' not found. Substituting with
'Tahoma,normal,400'.

   I dug around a bit and found out that Tahoma does not have an italic
variant (see e.g.
http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Tahoma-italic-ftopict705661.html). So,
I tried oblique instead:

<fo:inline font-family="Tahoma" font-style="oblique">italics</fo:inline>

   FOP said:

6.5.2008 12:16:54 org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
WARNING: Font 'Tahoma,oblique,400' not found. Substituting with
'Tahoma,normal,400'.

   I consulted an XSL-FO reference (Definitive XSL-FO by G. Holman) and it
said about font-style attribute: "note that "italic" will match "oblique"
if no italic face is available in the font family", so no surprise that
the second try was no better.

   Changing font-family="Tahoma" to font-family="Tahoma,Verdana" makes FOP
use Verdana's italic, which, at least to my eye looks good enough.

   But the question is: is there a known way to have italic(ish) Tahoma?
E.g. MS Word somehow manages something that looks ok even if Tahoma Italic
does not really exist. I suppose it makes it using oblique Tahoma
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_type) - can FOP be made to perform
the same trick?

   Environment: windows xp sp2, java 1.5.0_15, fop 0.95 beta.

      -::Antti::-

   Ps. Naturally in my fop.xconf I have

   <renderers>
     <renderer mime="application/pdf">
       <fonts>
         <auto-detect/>
       </fonts>

   to make this work. BTW, what is the reason font auto-detection is not
enabled by default?