From "Martin Edge" <Martin.E...@asmorphic.net.au>
Subject RE: best format for high speed printing
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:41:33 GMT
OK - A further bit of research suggests - the reason I'm going to PDF first, is I have to rewrite
some barcode information which dictates the page numbering for an intelligent envelope inserter

Can you edit text easily in a PCL page? I'm using .NET

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremias Maerki [mailto:dev@jeremias-maerki.ch]
Sent: Sunday, 1 June 2008 5:00 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: best format for high speed printing

Huh? You convert PDF to PCL? Why don't you use the PCL renderer? That
removes the seemingly time-consuming conversion from PDF to PCL. Or
rather, if you can choose, I'd go for PostScript output. PDF is not the
only output format FOP supports directly:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#pcl

On 01.06.2008 05:03:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys (my emails were tidier but apache's spam protection is ridiculous :)),
>
> But anyway ...
>
> Fair enough on your response kindaian... – thanks for your answer (and you too Jeremy!)
>
> Perhaps the software I am using to do the conversion from PDF to PCL could be improved..
I tried postscript, but so far I have been processing for 21hrs.. My 79Mb PDF file is now
a 94 Gig Postscript file! (that can’t be real, surely??).

> PCL takes about 6hrs for 20,000 pages (5333 recipient * four pages) with every 4th and
5th recipient in duplexing mode and the 1st page taking from the letterhead tray, the rest
from the plain paper tray. The current process would create 20,000 files and add them to one
larger file (this process is fast) marking duplexing and paper requirements whilst it aggregates
them.

> As it seems my format options are somewhat limited PCL/PS/AFP [we call the AFP the coppers
over here ☺] –

> The XSLT -> FO and FO -> PDF processes work quickly. It’s simply the PDF ->
PCL/AFP/PS stage which is killing me.

> I’m using ghostscript for this purpose. Just their standard PDF2PS.bat script (and
a slightly hacked one for PCL).

> Can you recommend a better software for this purpose, or is the conversion to PDF first
potentially hazardous in performance to my desired printing type (PCL or PS).

> Like, maybe XSL -> FO -> SOMETHING -> PCL or XSL -> FO -> PCL?
>
> Thanks guys your help is most appreciated!
> Martin.
>
> -------------------------------

can use outside the printing area to control the way the printing on that page is handled.

> I've seen it used in conjugation with printing-folding and enveloping systems (but can't
be more precise because never used one, only watched the systems working on expos).

> As for optimization, one thing that i noticed is if you have loads of citation references,
the document production takes an huge time more to be produced. And I'm only referring to
fo->pdf production mind.

> For further optimization you can also decouple the xml-xslt->fo and fo->output
production. Passing from a 32bit to full flagged 64bit environment may also allow further
improvements (and break the Java limitation on the memory allocation that happens in all 32bit
applications). In 32bit environment with 4gb ram on the machine, I wasn't able to use more
then 1.2Gb ram in Java.

> The project I was involved is a book with more then 5k pages with extensive use of page
references to produce automatically indexes. To be able to "render" the book it was needed
to split the book in chapters and produce an index for each of the chapter. Not a nice hack,
but it worked.

> Hope to have been of help,
>
> Cheers,
> Luís Ferro